A recipe about a cookie within a cookie? Yup, it’s inception, but cookieception!
I love that people share recipes on my Facebook wall, and it wasn’t hard to decide to make these Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies for a friend that recently had an operation on her wrist as a get-well-soon gift. How ingenious is this cookie anyway? I sure wish I had thought of it! The best part was the surprise on my friend’s face upon realising that there was another cookie within the cookie. Two of a good thing can’t possibly be bad!
This recipe wasn’t too sweet, despite being two cookies in one, which makes it a keeper. I loaded up on the dark chocolate chips as well. I don’t have one of those cookie scoops, so I really just grabbed a chunk of dough that was about the size of 1 1/4 Oreo cookies to fit onto the top and the bottom. I also flattened it out quite a bit as compared to the ones in the original recipe, but I suppose it’s up to you. There are quite a few other bloggers that have tried this out and they’ve said they didn’t get 24 cookies. I managed to make 22 cookies, and it ultimately depends on how much dough you use to coat the Oreo.
It took awhile to get the right amount of dough stuck on top and bottom of the cookie and then to flatten them out, so I’d advise you to preheat your oven right when you’re done with ‘allocating’ the dough to the right portions. I actually made them flatter than the original recipe, but it wasn’t intentional. Rather, I hadn’t seen the actual picture included in the post, so mine seem a bit flatter with some cracked tops, revealing the surprise within. Also, I removed one batch at 9 minutes and another at about 15 minutes because I wanted them done differently, with some softer than the others and the second batch with more bite and a browner coating.
I know it’s not meant to be but I think this is a delicious tribute to the fabulous movie that is Inception. And Mr Nolan, I sure hope that you approve!
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Picky Palate
Makes up to 24 large cookies
- 225 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 280 grams dark chocolate chips
- 2 x 150 gram packets of Oreos (I used 22 pieces)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. In a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until well combined. Add in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add to wet ingredients in several batches along with chocolate chips with a large wooden spoon.
- Using a cookie scoop, take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, pinch off dough that is about the size of 1 1/4 Oreo cookies. Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie. Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo Cookie is enclosed with dough.
- Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies for 9 to 15 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking (less time for softer and less ‘done’ cookies). Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Sit on your hands until they are completely cool before chomping down.